I have three tickets. my dad was outside with my dog and he…

Customer Question
I have three tickets...

I have three tickets. my dad was outside with my dog and he didnt have a leash. The first ticket is for not having him neutered, not having him chipped and having him without a leash.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My dad went outside through the back door and accidentally let the dog out and thats when the animal care service was driving by ans she even said it her self. she saw our dog ran out with my dad. she asked my dad for his shots we provided it. my dad called me out than she asked for my id, i had no idea for what.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/15/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I read your facts, is there a specific question with which I could assist?

alright..is there anything i can do ? or do i have to pay the 900 dollars ? why did i get three tickets instead of one ? he was off the leash, i would have accepted one ticket. or can my dad take responsibility for the dog ? i didn't know i was getting a ticket, my dad didnt either, he wouldve put it under his name

Based on what you have put in your facts there were three different violations and this three charges. While some places have a way to list more than one charge on a citations, some don't and, in addition, some officers prefer to use a separate citation for for each separate violation.

You can hire a lawyer or go to court yourself and argue that the dog being outside was an accident but, typically, the ordinances like these don't differentiate between what occurs accidentally and what occurs on purpose. In legal terms that means intent is not an element of the offense.

You can certainly defend against it by arguing the dog being outside the home without a leash, etc. was based on the actions of another (your father) and not on your actions and thus holding you responsible would be a violation of your due process rights.

You can also talk to the prosecutor ahead of time and see if they will agree to drop two of the charges if you plead to the third one and then you can ask for "deferred adjudication" or a "pretrial diversion" to keep any finding of guilt off of your record.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney