I am a 68 year old retired male (renter) here in Oceanside,

Customer Question
CA. I know I need...
I am a 68 year old retired male (renter) here in Oceanside, CA. I know I need to prepare a simple will as I will be traveling soon (March), and my 2 sons/myself need this protective document. Would one of the local Senior Centers be able to assist me here, or maybe request something online. I have no other property other than 1 vehicle and 2 bank accounts (savings/checking at B/A and WF), plus my FEGLI policy with my sons as benes... I thank you for any advisement, David Seaton,(###) ###-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/15/2016
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning David. If you put your son's on your bank accounts as Paid on Death beneficiaries, you actually won't need a will. Certain assets pass outside probate and thus are not governed by the will and thus do not require probate. These include the following: i) joint brokerage and bank accounts which vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, which also vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; and iii) assets with designated beneficiaries other than the estate such as life insurance and retirement accounts. If you put your sons on as POD beneficiaries of your bank accounts and with your FEGLI policy already doing so, all these assets will pass automatically. That will leave only your car and the boys can transfer title to that without probate by using a Small Estate Affidavit. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney