How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother-in-law was admitted to a hospital through their

Customer Question

My brother-in-law was admitted to a hospital through their emergency room. He has Medi-Cal insurance but he has no money and his wife is divorcing him and he has no home. We have told the hospital that we his family can no longer financially,physically (I am disabled) or mentally take care of him and have asked the hospital to find him a long term care nursing facility because he is an alcoholic with diabetes. He went into the hospital because he fell and has a compound fracture of his ankle he takes lots of meds and he has trouble managing his insulin and other meds. What are the hospitals legal obligations to find him decent long term care and housing as they are saying he must leave the hospital and go to a homeless shelter. What are his patients rights in this case
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally the hospital does not have to find him a place to go if he is capable of caring for himself. However, if he is not capable of caring for himself, they cannot just let him go to the streets. It is up to his family to work with the social workers in the hospital to find him a long term care facility that can take him in based on his status receiving Medi-Cal. He can be admitted to a long term care facility on Medi-Cal or medicaid, but they have to find him a facility that has a bed available and the hospital social worker is supposed to work with you to get one for him and they may have to look in a wider area to find him one.