My brother-in-law was admitted to a hospital through their…

Customer Question
My brother-in-law was admitted to...
My brother-in-law was admitted to a hospital through their emergency room. He has Medi-Cal insurance but he has no money and his wife is divorcing him and he has no home. We have told the hospital that we his family can no longer financially,physically (I am disabled) or mentally take care of him and have asked the hospital to find him a long term care nursing facility because he is an alcoholic with diabetes. He went into the hospital because he fell and has a compound fracture of his ankle he takes lots of meds and he has trouble managing his insulin and other meds. What are the hospitals legal obligations to find him decent long term care and housing as they are saying he must leave the hospital and go to a homeless shelter. What are his patients rights in this case
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/15/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally the hospital does not have to find him a place to go if he is capable of caring for himself. However, if he is not capable of caring for himself, they cannot just let him go to the streets. It is up to his family to work with the social workers in the hospital to find him a long term care facility that can take him in based on his status receiving Medi-Cal. He can be admitted to a long term care facility on Medi-Cal or medicaid, but they have to find him a facility that has a bed available and the hospital social worker is supposed to work with you to get one for him and they may have to look in a wider area to find him one.