How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wow thank you help. I received a driving while inpaired

Customer Question

Wow thank you for your help. I received a driving while inpaired charge at the Canadian/Ontario border this weekend. I have 2 priors on my record as a Michigan citizen. How will this event effect my Michigan
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Impaired driving charge and I have (2) DUI charges on my record currently. I am a Michigan citizen and got the impaired charge in Canada. How will this effect my Michigan driving status?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, Canada has a reciprocity agreement with New York and Michigan. See:
This means if you are convicted in Canada on this charge, it will be reported to MI (they only report convictions) and MI will treat this as a 3rd offense for purposes of suspension of your license. Thus, you are looking at a 5 year license suspension in MI if you do not get a good attorney in Canada and fight to not get a conviction on the impaired driving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I subject to additional penalities( jail or fines) in Michigan or just license suspension? Does Canada view this as first or third?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
No additional criminal penalties would occur in MI, just the license suspension which is an administrative penalty. Canada would have the choice to consider it a first or third offense because of the compact agreement between MI and Canada. It will be up to the Crown prosecutor's office and you need to get a good attorney in Canada.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do not attend court, I am assuming an arrest warrant will be put against my record. How is this exercised in Michigan?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, they will issue a warrant. This would effect you any time you try to travel outside the US as it will cause you to be detained by Immigration while they check with Canada to see if they want to extradite you. As far as in MI, they generally will not arrest you in MI, but they will issue a hold/suspension on your license, so avoiding it is not the best way to go.