Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Me and my boyfriend attended a basketball tournament 5th

Customer Question
Me and my boyfriend attended...
Me and my boyfriend attended a basketball tournament for my 5th grade daughter yesterday. at the beginning of the fourth tournament we were approached by a couple of officers who said that the school had called them and reported that we had snuck alcohol into the school. we were pulled out of the game and questions and my boyfriend had a coffee cup which the cops looked into to make sure that there was no alcohol in it. subsequently we were allowed to return to the game however this was extremely embarrassing humiliating and malicious the teacher who had reported that we had brought alcohol into the school is a teacher that we have had issues with in the past this was only done out of spite is there any legal course of action I can take
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
2/14/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to have grounds to take legal action for defamation there are two components. First, you have to have a case, meaning you have to prove that she made a KNOWN false statement against you (you can likely prove that). Second, you have to prove as a result you suffered actual damages, which the MN courts hold means you suffered some financial loss, as a direct result of the known false statement and not just emotional or embarrassment damages. Once you prove you suffered actual financial harm, then the court can consider emotional or embarrassment damages, but not before that.
So, legally, since you were not found to have any issues and were allowed to return, there are no actual monetary damages and you would not satisfy the second part of what you have to prove for a case.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney