How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 40 (19yrs.old 1970) year old felony conviction

Customer Question

I have a 40 (19yrs.old 1970) year old felony conviction for a small amount cocaine in Miami Fl which is now killing me in finding a new upper Management position. It would appear that for years this wasn't a problem but now with all the technology this is come back to really start haunting me, is there a way a better way to fill out a application or answer that arrest question differently after they have review my Resume and are very interested in speaking with me. This thing is killing me !!!!!
Thank you
Carl Germaine(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there -

- Were you actually found guilty of the crime or did you plead guilty to it ? I am asking because if the court gave you a conviction without an actual GUILTY notation on the record then you can qualify to have your record sealed and the old records stopped from surfacing again. At the time of your arrest for the FL crime, if you had no additional criminal charges anywhere, the prosecutor could have offered you a supervised probation situation where if you were involved with probation and followed all of his rules, the actual guilty finding would not have been entered by the court -- it would have been "continued without a finding" or a "nolle proequi" disposition on the case. If that is what happened on your case, then you CAN seal this record -- you will have to contact the clerk's office in the FL court where this keeps appearing and ask for the paperwork to have a criminal record sealed or expunged. They should have no problem giving it to you -- and then you complete the paperwork and submit it for further action (generally a hearing but sometimes the judge will sign off if the matter is not too complicated without a hearing).


I hope that helps. Please let me know if I can answer any further follow up questions for you on these matters. If not, can I please ask you to press a positive rating above in the rating section so I will be paid for my time assisting you tonight? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it is simply a trigger to the website to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. MARY