How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31781
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wrote my Feb. alimony check /1/2016. It should have

Customer Question

My ex wrote my Feb. alimony check for 3/1/2016. It should have been written for 2/15/2016. I need the money to pay my house payment. He refuses to communicate with me. Can I change the date since he will not speak with me to correct the situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

No, you can't alter the check -- including the date -- unless you're the maker of the check. So, you'd either need ask him to write another check with the correct date on it or get permission from him in writing to change the date.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Also, if your ex refuses to remedy the issue, you could file a motion to hold him in contempt of court for failing to pay (but you may not want to refer to needing the money for your house payment since the money is supposed to be used for the child....).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!