My ex wrote my Feb. alimony check /1/2016. It should have…

Customer Question
My ex wrote my Feb...
My ex wrote my Feb. alimony check for 3/1/2016. It should have been written for 2/15/2016. I need the money to pay my house payment. He refuses to communicate with me. Can I change the date since he will not speak with me to correct the situation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/13/2016
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

No, you can't alter the check -- including the date -- unless you're the maker of the check. So, you'd either need ask him to write another check with the correct date on it or get permission from him in writing to change the date.

Also, if your ex refuses to remedy the issue, you could file a motion to hold him in contempt of court for failing to pay (but you may not want to refer to needing the money for your house payment since the money is supposed to be used for the child....).

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Roger, Attorney