I am in New Jersey. If a person records a a meeting (person…

Customer Question
I am in New Jersey...
I am in New Jersey. If a person records a a meeting (person was present when recording it so I understand that actual recording was legal) but then takes the content of that recording and and posts on social media with the purpose of causing another person to get fired from a job, is there civil recourse or an alternate criminal statute that would apply to their actions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/12/2016
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

What you describe is not going to be a crime (since the recording was legal)

HOWEVER, if the context of the conversation was "private" by nature...and the person released the audio to others...and because of this release the person who was recorded suffered some harm? They could sue the person who released the information under a legal theory of "breach of privacy"

The tough part of this may be proving "damages"

if you sue someone, you have to prove how their conduct caused harm to you.

SO, for example, say that the released recording caused the person to loose their job? They could sue for the lost wages.

bot***** *****ne: if the release of private information caused harm? That could be a basis to file a lawsuit

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Follow up