I just came back from the nursing home where we were trying…

Customer Question
Hello, I just came back from...
I just came back from the nursing home where we were trying to figure out my mothers monthly income to see how much of her funds we can protect. She is receiving $1149.00 a month right now from the veterans aid and assist benefits which will drop down to $90.00 a month once she is on medicaid. Three months ago when we started putting all her papers in order I was told by the social worker that she had called the social security office and that the $1149.00 would not be added to her monthly income just the $90.00, which would keep her under the total of $2267.00 income allowed a month that makes the difference between our being able to protect $8,000.00 instead of just $2,400.00. So today I go to the nursing home and when I sit down at the desk she makes another call to the social security office and now I am told that they are going to add $716.00 to her monthly income in place of the veterans aid funds to figure up her monthly income, which of course will take us $68.00 over the allowed $2267.00 she is allowed to make to let us protect the $8,000.00. IS THIS CORRECT? Seems funny to me that three months ago I was told no and then today the $716.00 was pulled out of the sky?????? Can they do this? I told her that I wanted to know if or what the formula was in calculating the $716.00... That is more than half of what she gets now. How can they do this?????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/12/2016
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I actually have a good bit of experience with this (I am a VSO and help vets get A&A regularly)
But I do not understand your question.

Would it help, perhaps, to talk on the phone about this? I can make that available for $5 additional