A board of trustees representing a Woman's club attended a…

Customer Question
A board of trustees representing...
A board of trustees representing a Woman's club attended a scheduled meeting.
A program was introduced and voted on by members present. Motion was carried
9 to 1. After further review of the motion it was found several days later
to be adverse to the club's by-laws. What action is needed to immediately stop issue/event to progress
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/11/2016
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
Under Robert's Rules, which is what your membership's procedure, there needs to be a Motion to Re-consider.

A motion to reconsider must be made within a limited time after the action on the original motion: usually at the same meeting or, in the case of a multi-day session or convention, on the next day within the session or convention in which business is conducted.

Until the motion to reconsider is disposed of or lapses, the effect of the original vote is suspended, and no action may be taken to implement it

This is in contrast to the motion to rescind, which may be made at any later meeting, but until passed, has no effect on the original decision.

Under Robert's Rules of Order and some other authorities, the motion to reconsider MUST BE MADE by a member who voted on the prevailing side in the original vote. So you need to have a member who voted in favor on the first vote make the Motion and then someone to second it.

If another member disputes an assertion by the maker of the motion to reconsider that he voted on the prevailing side, the member moving to reconsider is to be believed unless the record of a roll call vote says otherwise