How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27054
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in county jail and we leave in Garland tx I'm

Customer Question

My son is in Taylor county jail and we leave in Garland tx I'm trying to find a lawyer in Abilene that can help me I'm not sure what to do he has a class a misdemeanor from 2008 and he didn't show up for his court date I need a lawyer to help me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


If your son was involuntarily returned on an old warrant and is presently sitting in jail, he has probably been assigned a public defender. Most jurisdictions will have public defenders available for jail cases, recognizing that if you're in jail, you don't have the ability to look for counsel.

You can call the clerk of the court where your son is to appear and ask if a public defender has been assigned and who that lawyer is. The odds are better than good that he already has representation.

We are not able to provide representation for customers, as justanswer is not a law firm. We are also prevented by the terms of service of this site from making a direct referral to a lawyer or law firm. However, we can refer you to the same services that lawyers themselves use when they need to consult with someone in a different specialty or state and don't know anyone. One such source is the Texas Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge around $50 for the referral which includes a free half hour consultation with the attorney.

For a wider selection, you could use a commercial lawyer referral service such as Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client rated, which some customers find very useful to help them narrow down their choices.