How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31737
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

During the nineties my husband and I worked and famous and

Customer Question

During the nineties my husband and I worked for the rich and famous and some very famous like the king of pop.
We are writing a book not as a memoir but as "novel fiction" without naming anyone for example we use Mr P, Mrs S instead of their real names.
We would like to know if anyone recognize themselves, will we be subject to a law suit or can they stop the release of the book?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

This is a very touchy subject....and there are privacy rights and celebrity rights that would apply....and could cause you some issues. Here's a good link you can read that explains this:

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Thus, if you're writing about private things, you really have to be careful. But if you make the people different enough that a reasonable reader can't determine who the person is, you could be safe.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

The safest thing is to get permission from the people or the representatives of their estate to make sure you do not find yourself in a lawsuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very unsatisfied first you charge my CC before I had any chance to read the answer and I am not happy at all. Your web site used to answer first and then ask for the money and your answer is too vague, I am NOT SATISFIED and want my refund. Thanks. this is my email. as the other one has a mistype: ***@******.***
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You haven't been don't fret about that.

The answer is accurate, but I'm sorry if you're not satisfied. I'll notify customer service to cancel the question. Good night.