How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31766
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 54 year old man whose reputation is being threatened

Customer Question

I am a 54 year old man whose reputation is being threatened by another man. He is upset over my relationship with his wife. The relationship is consensual. He has stalked me (with his children) in the past, followed us to our group meetings, tracks her movement without her permission, and monitors her texts without also her permission. He is threatening to release letters defaming my character to my employers. I need to know what to do to head this off at the pass and motivate him not to do this. I will appreciate any help you can give.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You can file harassment charges and seek a restraining order against this person to prevent him or his children from following you around, contacting you, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

As for the defamatory information he's threatening, there's not an awful lot you can do pre-emptively other than to tell him that he will be defaming your character and that you'll sue for the libel (written) or slander (spoken) if he knowingly makes false statements about you that are passed off as true.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If he doesn't heed your warnings, then you could sue and seek an injunction to stop the dissemination of this material; you could also seek money damages for the impact this has had on your reputation.