I signed a contract to sell timeshares to a company in

Customer Question
I signed a contract...

I signed a contract to sell timeshares to a company in Mexico, after I got home I found out that a very large tax lien exists on those timeshares. I tried to explain that they can not be sold, but they keep sending me copies of contracts to sell. What can they do to me?

Lawyer's Assistant: The law can be really complicated! The Lawyer will know what to do. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

He said due to lien that I can't sell. Even if it slips through the cracks if the IRS finds out at a later date they can say I am hiding assets.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?

The whole transaction was part of a trade for membership in vacation club. Obviously if I don't have the timeshares as down payment that deal is affected to.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/4/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me if the company itself is in Mexico, or in USA? And, who holds the lien? IRS?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

The company is located in Mexico. The liens are Irs.
Thank you for your response. I am currently away from the site; so as not to make you wait, I will opt out in favor off another expert who can answer faster.
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

New professional here. I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are the liens more than the selling price that you agreed on?

2. Have you already signed contracts obligating you to sell the timeshares to the buyer?

3. What kind of company do you have the contracts of sale with? A timeshare resale company, the time share association itself?

4. What was the sale price of the timeshares?

Thanks in advance,

Doug