How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27192
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A) I reside in California with my wife. ) 2/23/16 her 3 year

Customer Question

A) I reside in California with my wife.
B) 2/23/16 her 3 year Green card expires
C) 2/9/16, she has appointment to extend Green Card
D) She should receive her 10 year Perminant Resident status in next 30 days
E) 2/3/16 she was arrested for domestic violence against me yesterday
F) If she pleads "no contest" will that keep her from get Permanent residence
g) She hit me with a metal broom 3 times on arm, marks were left but no serious injury,
H) Court hearing is today, with no priors, police thought she would get off.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Yes, it is possible that a plea to this could effect her residency. That is between her and immigration, as the criminal court will not get involved with that. She also needs to be aware that it could subject her to deportation. Now, what you should be aware of is that the success of this case and its prosecution, depends on your cooperate, with the State. If you do not appear at trial or cooperate and they can not proceed, since you are the victim and they would need you to testify, they would have to eventually drop the case. You can certainly explain to them your desire that they not prosecute and proceed but they do have the final say, in regard to doing forward. A no contest plea would simply resolve the case but it would be on her record and could effect her residency.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.
I want her to get her citizenship, it would ruin her life if she gets deported, so I MUST BE CRYSTAL CLEAR on course of action.
As her spouse do 1) I have the rite to refuse to testify?
2) Can I be in the court with her?
3) Should she plead not guilty?
4) The case is in Santa Monica, will they provide her with a public defender?
5) If not can I represent her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I await your response. Thank U.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Allow me a few moments

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

You can not represent her and when she appears she can ask to be appointed the public defender. Her counsel will enter a plea of not guilty on her behalf and work on the case. The state may issue a subpoena for your to appear at trial and if you fail to do so it will be at their discretion to try and find you and bring you in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please respond i dont want to have to rate you with one star?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid for prompt service, I will also request a refund if I do not get a response.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I responded above

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

It was 25 mins ago

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

If you did not see it or it did not post please let me know

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Hi, are you still with me?