Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My dads truck was cited parking ticket, never seen the

Customer Question

My dads truck was cited for a parking ticket , never seen the ticket . Got a $190 bill in the mail stating he got a parking ticket in July of 2013 and they're trying to collect now . Should we pay ?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if there was a citation issued on the truck, he now has two choices: First, he can file a motion to vacate, since he did not respond to the ticket it was entered as a conviction against him. He files the motion in the local court to vacate the citation based on never receiving notice. Second, he pays the ticket.

It does take a little time to file the motion to vacate, but if he wants to get out without paying, that is what he needs to file and go to court and argue he never received any such ticket and most times the ticket from 3 years ago would be dismissed. There is no statute of limitations on these tickets once they are issued, so you cannot argue that.