Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a 1099 contractor, am I protected under the wage

Customer Question
garnishment act? Specifically, if my...
I am a 1099 contractor, am I protected under the wage garnishment act? Specifically, if my contract was terminated because of a wage garnishment order, can I sue for retaliation of this order?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am a 1099 contractor, am I protected under the wage garnishment act? Specifically, if my contract was terminated because of a wage garnishment order, can I sue for retaliation of this order?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
2/3/2016
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

A wage garnishment order is not legally effective against a 1099 independent contractor employee under the law. Because only a W-2 employee's wages are subject to a garnishment order, as an independent contractor you are not protected by the wage garnishment act and your employer could terminate you at any time, and for any reason, unless your contract with them required that they have good cause to terminate you.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

As you have asked for a phone call, I will offer you that and I will process that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread.

After you accept my offer of the phone call, would you please provide your phone number? After you do that, please send me a quick Reply to let me know that you have posted the number, so I can call you.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Good afternoon,

You asked for a call and I offered it to you. Would you still like for me to call you?

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney