Im staying at my mothers trailer ive never had to pay rent…

Customer Question
im staying at my mothers...
im staying at my mothers trailer ive never had to pay rent and now out of the blue im served with a 24 hr eviction whst can i do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/3/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this, Mindy. Unfortunately, someone in your situation has very little recourse. You are a tenant at sufferance meaning you stay at the property for free at the discretion of the owner. If she wants you to go, she can ask you to go, or evict you if you do not.

NOTE that she does have to give you an informal notice prior to filing for eviction.

The informal notice is a letter in writing and can be either a 3-day, 5-day or 30-day notice. After waiting for the period of the notice if you still have not left, she can can file the claim for eviction and wait for the official court proceedings to take place.

So if she skipped the informal notice, someone in your situation can delay the eviction by demanding such an informal notice, first. But this only buys time.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!