My ex friend is spreading rumors I have an STD which is not…

Customer Question
My ex friend is spreading...
My ex friend is spreading rumors I have an STD which is not true. I am a popular business woman. have been in the same business for 20 years. I do not need this. Help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/3/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney

Good morning. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Are you online with me?

You can sue them for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

In your situation, where the defendant has stated falsely that you have a veneral disease, the court may presume damages without the need to show proof of actual financial loss under the "defamation per se" doctrine.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in this matter.

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.