This is vikalp its about jury duty summon. I am on h1b i…

Customer Question
Hi This is vikalp...

Hi This is vikalp its about jury duty summon. I am on h1b i failed to reply back to notice that i am not eligible

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I got notice to appear for jury duty, but as i am not citizen i am not eligible for it. But i did not respond back to summon that i am not qualified. so what do i do now. the summon date has passed

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/3/2016
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

Which State are you in?

Does the summons form have a questionnaire asking if you are a citizen?

Santa Clara county, California.
Yes it has a questionnaire for not qualified with one option as not a citizen. My summon was in the week of 1/26/16 and I didn't reply.
But I did submitt that questionnaire today, through online. Is that ok if I responded after my summon due date? Or I need to do something more.

No you do not have to do anything more. I was going to suggest that you return it late and answer No to the question asking if you are a citizen, but you already did that.

You will not be punished for returning the form late.

I hope this information is helpful.

As we discussed above I did submit No to the questionnaire via online form. But I still got a mail that I have missed my summon and have 14days to get it re scheduled. Do need to re submit the questionnaire via mail?

It cannot hurt to resubmit the form by mail. Once they realize that you are not a citizen, they should stop sending you those forms.

You could phone the Clerk of the Court or the Jury Commissioner that issued the summons and make it clear that as a non-citizen you are not allowed to sit on a jury.