A large portion of my security deposit was withheld with no…

Customer Question
A large portion of my...
A large portion of my security deposit was withheld with no explanation of charges. It has been over 60 days and I have not cashed the check yet. What do I do. I have heard that since it has been over 60 days I am entitled to the full security deposit back
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/3/2016
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Your landlord was obligated to give you a written notice of the claimed deductions from your security deposit. If they improperly with hold paying you you can sue them in small claims court. You may be entitled to three times the security deposit if it was wrongly with held.

The clerk at the small claims court will have the forms that you need to file the action.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Gerald