How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4094
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A large portion of my security deposit was withheld with no

Customer Question

A large portion of my security deposit was withheld with no explanation of charges. It has been over 60 days and I have not cashed the check yet. What do I do. I have heard that since it has been over 60 days I am entitled to the full security deposit back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Your landlord was obligated to give you a written notice of the claimed deductions from your security deposit. If they improperly with hold paying you you can sue them in small claims court. You may be entitled to three times the security deposit if it was wrongly with held.

The clerk at the small claims court will have the forms that you need to file the action.

Good luck.

Kind regards,