How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of Kansas, I was recently divorced. My

Customer Question

I live in the state of Kansas, I was recently divorced. My attorney was disbarred by the state. I would like to revisit my real estate issues as it has come to knowledge that this was handled in appropriately. My ex-husband and I had a condo in Florida, He owed taxes to the government (I did not). the condo went into foreclosure and now their is a surplus of funds after it sold. I believe that I am entitled to half the surplus. The government is trying to claim all of it. Where can I get help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LEV replied 1 year ago.

That is a sad situation which is based on joint ownership.
As long as the property jointly owned - the whole property or correspondingly any proceeds from the sale of said property may be garnished for either spouse's tax debt.

Unfortunately there is no simple way to protect your share.
That would be a civil matter between you and your ex-spouse and if the property was divided equally in your divorce decree - you can take your ex-spouse back to court for damages.

There is almost nothing you may do to protect your share of proceeds from the IRS.

Sorry if you expected differently.