I filed a complaint in federal court and I have a diversity…

Customer Question
I filed a complaint...

I filed a complaint in federal court and I have a diversity problem so I need to drop one of the defendants so I don't destroy diversity...this defendant filed a 12(b)(6) for lack of subject matter. how can I dismiss one defendant but not the rest??

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Are you asking me for facts of the case?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/3/2016
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You would just have to file an agreed order with this defendant based on the pending 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss....and that would remove only this defendant from the case.

Here's a good link you can read about diversity of citizenship issues: http://federalpracticemanual.org/book/export/html/6

If you don't remove the party, diversity would be destroyed --- and if there is no other basis for federal jurisdiction --- the case will be dismissed.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks!

Roger, Attorney