How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42232
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and it's about attending a university

Customer Question

Hello, My name is ***** ***** and it's about attending a university full-time.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: currently, I'm overseas for the military and once I come back I plan to go to school full-time and was looking on if I would be able to file for unemployment in Texas
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you .

You can only file for UI here if you are able and ready for full time work.You would not want to mention school at all.The UI folks don't need to know about that so don't mention it.You should be able to get GI Bill benefits to go to school,that would be your best bet.

Definitely apply for UI benefits and don't mention school when you do so.Just tell them you are available for work so they will not deny you on this basis.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck with school.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are through it is always much appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about when it comes to taxes??
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you are claiming Texas as your home state you pay federal income taxes on the UI benefits.They are considered income here.

Thanks again and thanks for your service.