It is legal to receive 2 punishments violation?

Customer Question
It is legal to receive...
It is legal to receive 2 punishments for one violation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/2/2016
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

That depends, but generally, yes. For example, you can go to jail and still have to pay a fine. You can have a split sentence, which means you can serve some jail and then be released and serve a term of probation.

If you explain your situation by replying here on this question thread, I can be less general.

I violated the city of Clemson SC tenant regulation regarding number of occupancies 3 versus 2.I paid a fine for violating the regulation and now city Cancel wants to revoke my right to lease the house
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
changed my mind, just answer the question

This is a municipal regulation. Do you have the code number for the ordinance that you have violated?

Section 13-64 of your municipal code gives the City Council the authority for them to revoke your ability to rent out your property for a determinate period of time following a violation. That's an administrative sanction.

However, Section 13-71 of the same code says that violations in this chapter are misdemeanors, so a fine would be an appropriate criminal sentence.

Yes, therefore, you could have two punishments for the same incident.

I had a court date on 1/27 and I paid the violation but according with their rules a occupancy violation with the court results in automatic revocation hearing with city council. the hearing shall determine if I can rent the property or not.
Clemson, South Carolina - Code of Ordinances - chapter 19 - zoning

Thanks. I was looking at Section 13 and the Rental housing regulations, but Section 19 works on the same principle.

The court date is a criminal matter and section 19-1204 says that a violation of this chapter is a misdemeanor. A plea of guilty there would give the judge the opportunity to impose a sentence -- in this case a fine -- which would then trigger the administrative revocation hearing and the possible revocation, which is an administrative sanction. It's proper.

It's analogous to a DUI situation where you refuse to test. That triggers an administrative sanction of a suspension of your license, on top of whatever sanctions the criminal court imposes as part of the sentence.

It's not double jeopardy. These are different agencies involved.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney