I want to create a life estate to purchase a condo brother…

Customer Question
I want to create a...
I want to create a life estate to purchase a condo for my brother in Florida. He is 60 years old and want to know if I pass he can live in the residence for his life as long as he chooses to,. If he passes i WANT TO ENSURE, THAT THE OWNERSHIP either reverts back to me or my estate ??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/2/2016
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Yes, you can give your brother only a life estate and retain the remainder interest yourself. And, if you should not be alive at the time your brother dies, then it would go to your estate. You would do this by signing a quit claim deed transferring only a life estate interest in the property to your brother. The deed would need to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. Then, when your brother dies, his life estate automatically terminates with title in you as the remainderman.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you would like me to provide you a template for this deed for you, I'll be happy to do so. Just let me know. Richard

Richard, Attorney