My husband coaches a youth hockey team in VA. On Saturday…

Customer Question
Hi, my husband coaches a...
Hi, my husband coaches a youth hockey team in VA. On Saturday after a game one of the fathers physically assaulted my husband and cursed him out as my husband stepped off the ice. My husband did not retaliate. He then proceeded to email us horrible emails later that night and email others. My (2) 5 year old children had to watch this man attack my husband. Do we have any legal grounds to go after him? He is a lawyer in VA and very intimidating.
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/2/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Did this person actually strike or touch your husband, either with some part of his body or with some other object?

.

Were there any witnesses other than the children?

.

.

thanks

Ok, then he would be well within his legal rights to file a criminal complaint against the other person for assault and battery. When someone engages in an unlawful touching, it is a crime and can be prosecuted as such, whether he is an attorney or not.

.

As an attorney, he should know better as there are more serious potential repercussions for an attorney through the Bar Association than for a non attorney. An attorney typically has to explain any criminal charge to the Bar and they can take additional punitive action over and above any criminal penalties.

.

So if husband wants to pursue this, he can go down to the local District Attorney's office and file a formal private complaint or visit the local police station and swear out a complaint..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney