How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter age 53 is on drugs and both her children and I

Customer Question

my daughter age 53 is on drugs and both her children and I have not heard from her. She has a small retirement fund and I just rec. the check at my mail box and feel something bad had happen to her.
Her children age 18 and 28 need help to find her and also need to return the check to her employer because it will void by end of Feb. but do not want to lose any benefits back to the company.
I am the grandmother and care giver for my high school grand daughter. We need legal advice how to proceed. Please advise what kind of lawyer we need to seek advice. I am trying to see if legal aid could help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Please clarify what is it you need an attorney to do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sam,
I do not know what your specialty as a lawyer would be......but......
Did you read the information I sent which I asked what kind of attorney I will need to contact for consultation how to proceed per my daughters retirement for her children if something happened to her which we don't know, and contact the company regarding the retirement check which will void in Feb.
I hope this makes sense to you.
Look forward to hearing your recommendation.Let me summarize the information I need.
Mother of high school child does not know where her mother is at this time.
Mother is an addict
Mother did not call or I think received her retirement check which I have at this time and will the check will void by end of this month.
I can file a missing persons
I can call the company and tell them that the check for my daughter is in my possession and I can return the check to the company until my daughter claims her benefit and if not what happens thereafter.
WHAT KIND OF ATTORNEY I NEED TO PURSUE THESE QUESTIONS and how to proceed, that is what I am asking.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I read your post. I was just want to be certain what you needed.

If you want to discuss her retirement, then you will need an attorney who is skilled and versed in ERISA laws. I suggest you can use the CA Bar Association for a legal referral service. Here is that contact. (###) ###-####br />Out-of-state call(###) ###-####and you can tell them it is for your unemployed 18 year old grand daughter who is still in high school and they could provide a pro bono attorney. She also should be eligible for some sort of legal aid.

Now, if you want help in locating your daughter, I suggest you may consider hiring a Private Investigator.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I suggest you should consider contacting your local sheriff or police and filing a missing persons report, too.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You should consider calling the company and explaining you have the check and that you will return it. It is her money and it should continue to be available. But you should have a local ERISA attorney to assist you. And they could make the call.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the clarification. I hope the information I provided is helpful.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If you need more information please let me know here.