My wife and I live in Tampa Florida. We each have revocable…

Customer Question
My wife and I live...
My wife and I live in Tampa Florida. We each have revocable trusts and are both 57 years old. All of our assets are equally split up amongst the two individual trusts.
I have one question.
In addition to getting some liability protection by having trusts, separately, we have had a personal liability umbrella policy -$2million-for many years.
The question is –
Do we even need a separate, private umbrella policy if all of our assets are properly set up in individual trusts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2016
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Yes, an umbrella policy would still be a good idea. The reason being is that these revocable living trusts simply allow you to avoid probate upon your deaths. But, because they are revocable, they provide no creditor or liability protection for you. So, if there is a problem with any of the assets, even though the assets are owned by the trust, you and your wife still have personal liability. Therefore, I would recommend an umbrella policy to protect against such potential liability.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating