I was married last June 2015. My husband just passed away 2…

Customer Question
I was married last June...
I was married last June 2015. My husband just passed away 2 weeks ago. In the mail acouple days ago was a certified letter addressed to my deceased husband. I did not sign for it . Do I need to accept it and I don't know what it's regarding ,but am I responsible for any debt owed to the IRS by him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

You aren't required to accept it and if it is addressed to him you may want to consider telling the postman to return it with the notation that the addressee is deceased.

As far as taxes you would only be potentially responsible for any taxes accumulated since your marriage, nothing from before you were married. Most of the time in situations like yours an accountant can file your return as married filing separately and then the estate can file a return for him and you can avoid any liability at all but that depends on the specific facts of your case.