We are getting a remodel done on our home in Destin, Florida…

Customer Question
We are getting a remodel...
We are getting a remodel done on our home in Destin, Florida in the amount of approximately $15,000. Is there a law governing the max amount of up front money a remodel contractor can charge?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Florida law requires that contractors taking more than a 10% deposit for a project must make application for permit within 30 days and commence work within 90 days of the issuance of a permit. Florida law additionally requires that contractors generally must continue work on projects without lapses of more than 60 days

.

However, Florida statute does not provide a maximum deposit that the contractor may charge. The contractor and the individual property owner may negotiate a deposit and payment schedule that they mutually agree upon.

.

.

thanks