Our non-profit organization held it annual election. One of…

Customer Question
Our non-profit organization held it...
Our non-profit organization held it annual election. One of the positions could not be filled because the person holding it termed out. Our by-laws has a term limit of 3 years. On bad information I received from another site, which said that you could suspend the by-laws for one item, I persuaded the Board to do just that. We then re-elected the same person to a 4th term. Now I know this was wrong. How can I fix this mess
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/30/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have a couple of options. First, since he was invalidly elected, review the bylaws about appointing a member when a vacancy occurs. IF you have to hold another election and you want the same person, then you need to file a bylaw amendment proposal and actually change the bylaws, if not you have to elect a new person to the position. Those are the options to fix the issue.