How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am disabled many years now. I moved into an apartment

Customer Question

I am disabled many years now. I moved into an apartment building, that unfortunately is not handicapped friendly. My Daughter found the apartment for us. We lived far away.
So, When I moved in, I parked my rather large Pride handicapped cart under the stairwell, next to my front door! Six months later , the owner told me I have to move it, or else!
He knew I was handicapped long before we moved in. He told my Son-in-law and my Husband to move it inside! This is a large handicap unit. Weighing about 275 lbs!
Now, here is another kicker...The only entrance to the apartment is the front door, the door has a 12 to 13 inches step up to get inside!!!! How in the world can he expect us to get it inside. No way to do that! My Husband is dying of cancer, I am handicapped, so how can this be possible! I say, He can't make me move it, am I right?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation. California has a comprehensive disability protection and enforcement program. I would recommend contacting them about this abusive landlord and potentially (likely) non-compliant apartment complex:

You can also contact HUD (the federal agency that does the same thing):