What does this sentence mean: As an independent consultant…

Customer Question
What does this sentence mean: As...
What does this sentence mean:
As an independent consultant we agree to mutually indemnify each other for all conduct and activity.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/30/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

It means if either are sued for something that occurred here that involved both of you that both are liable and that the other party would reimburse the party sued here.

Usually this is even more one sided the consultant agrees to reimburse and hold harmless, this is really pretty evenly written.You can usually negotiate it out here or at least try if you want to.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Pretty standard among consultant agreements, here is more information.

http://www.camillericlarke.com/EnvironmentalNews/newsView.asp?NewsId=4096815

Thank you Ray. So is there any protection from one party suing the other here - not a third party?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

This really only comes into play if there is a third party suit you both agree to be equally liable and it has to involve something you were both involved in as well.Again this is fairly written and not nearly as oppressive as it could be here.

if the other party in this agreement decides to sue here, there is nothing preventing them from doing so?
There is nothing that can prevent the other party from suing the partner?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

No but you both agree to be equally liable so recovery for either one would be equally liable.It assigns 50-50% fault so for instance any suit would would be reduced by 50%.This really is for suits or claims by third parties here and thats what it is used for.

Ok, is there any way that if the contract is terminated that this is not in effect?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Only if you add such language.

As an independent consultant we agree to mutually indemnify each other for all conduct and activity. The parties agree that such indemnification ends in the event he contract is terminated on the date of termination.

Something like that-- it is negotiable.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.