Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband has Altzeimers and is in the moderate stages. I

Customer Question
My husband has Altzeimers and...
My husband has Altzeimers and is in the moderate stages. I have $30,000 in a joint savings account.....should I put that money in my account only and close out the joint account? If I put it in my name only, can I put our son as the beneficiary?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or.....in another year I'll have a total of $50,000.....(I save a lot every month) would I be better off putting it in an immediate annuity in my name and my husband as the beneficiary? (Instead of having it in a savings account?)
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/30/2016
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

In which State are you located?

Can you close the joint account without his signature? Would he agree to this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in Minnesota....I could open a new savings account and transfer all the money into that account....My husband is open to anything I do.

You can definitely do it if he agrees to it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know I can put the money in my own account, the question I do have is, about the legal issues with a nursing home down the road, can putting money away now in my own name be ok as long as it is before the 5 year look back? And can I name the beneficiary as my son without the nursing home having a problem with that? I BELIEVE my husband will live a long time, he's 67 right now. I guess I just want to know if I should sock away as much money for myself in a savings account as I can before the look back period or invest it in an Annuity? Or should I consult a financial advisor?

It is a good idea to take assets out of his name before the beginning of the 5 year look back period.

I agree it would be a good idea to consult a financial advisor or an attorney who specializes in estate planning.

You can get a free consultation from some of the attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer