My husband has Altzeimers and is in the moderate stages. I…

Customer Question
My husband has Altzeimers and...
My husband has Altzeimers and is in the moderate stages. I have $30,000 in a joint savings account.....should I put that money in my account only and close out the joint account? If I put it in my name only, can I put our son as the beneficiary?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Or.....in another year I'll have a total of $50,000.....(I save a lot every month) would I be better off putting it in an immediate annuity in my name and my husband as the beneficiary? (Instead of having it in a savings account?)
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/30/2016
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

In which State are you located?

Can you close the joint account without his signature? Would he agree to this?

I am in Minnesota....I could open a new savings account and transfer all the money into that account....My husband is open to anything I do.

You can definitely do it if he agrees to it.

I know I can put the money in my own account, the question I do have is, about the legal issues with a nursing home down the road, can putting money away now in my own name be ok as long as it is before the 5 year look back? And can I name the beneficiary as my son without the nursing home having a problem with that? I BELIEVE my husband will live a long time, he's 67 right now. I guess I just want to know if I should sock away as much money for myself in a savings account as I can before the look back period or invest it in an Annuity? Or should I consult a financial advisor?

It is a good idea to take assets out of his name before the beginning of the 5 year look back period.

I agree it would be a good idea to consult a financial advisor or an attorney who specializes in estate planning.

You can get a free consultation from some of the attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.