Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

A police officer is telling my freinds and potential

Customer Question

A police officer is telling my freinds and potential business clients about a 20 year old felony arrest . Small town and people know each orher. If my name comes up he volunteers information without being asked. Is this harassment and misconduct
I live in new Jersey.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is this harassment and misconduct

.

In NJ, under NJ Code 2C: 33-4 if a person engages in any conduct which is alarming, or repeats conduct in a way which has the intent to seriously annoy or alarm an individual, they may also be found guilty of Harassment. All of this conduct by itself would constitute a petty disorderly persons offense.

.

So if the officer is volunteering this information strictly to embarrass and annoy you, I would opine that yes, that would meet the definition of harassment under the statute.

.

And if the officer is engaging in a criminal action, that is by definition misconduct...

.

So yes, I think you would have legal grounds to file a formal complaint with the police dept regarding this officer's conduct.

.

.

thanks