How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28370
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My attorney just filed a motion to withdraw from my civil

Customer Question

My attorney just filed a motion to withdraw from my civil case. This case has been ongoing for 5 years. I paid this attorney a retainer with a contract to take my case up to a jury trial. I was to pay additional fees if we went to trial. For the last 5 years he has been asking for more money because he said the case got more involved. The last request was for $1500 more dollars. I refused. He then filed a motion to withdraw. What can I expect from the judge when we go to the hearing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You can certainly object and ask that the Judge does not allow it and show/present good cause, as to why he should remain on the case. Of course, if he remains, it may not be the best thing, since he would essentially be forced to stay and work on the case, which may not result in his best efforts. If you had a retainer agreement which outlined the terms and conditions of the representation, you should make the attorney aware that you will be prejudiced if he leaves now and that you may report him to the bar. Cases do not always go as anticipated but the agreement should have reflected that or else you may have never hired him. Now, if the Judge allows it, you can ask for a stay and more time to find new counsel, who can represent you and get caught up on the case. If you can not afford new counsel, then you would need to take over from here.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!