Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Some guy from this "Restitution Department" is calling me

Customer Question

Some guy from this "Restitution Department" is calling me and wanting me to pay for this pay-day loan that I did not make . He knows where I work and has my social security number and will not give me his information as far as his address. What legal actions can I make?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** well! I look forward to helping you!

This is a total fraudulent scam and violates both state and federal law. Respond to the sender by informing him that you do not owe this debt, that his communication violates Federal and state law, and demand he immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform him that his threats of criminal prosecution constitute a violation of state law and the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will be reporting each and every violation to your state's attorney general's office and the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine at the Federal level. Also let him know that should he be stupid enough to file any negative credit report, you will be filing a defamation suit against him for both your actual and punitive damages. In my experience, the fines under the Federal Act, and the report to the attorney general's office, and the threat of the defamation should be an end to these collection efforts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!