My son age 31. who has a few mental/emotional issues, went…

Customer Question
My son age 31. who...
My son age 31. who has a few mental/emotional issues, went to the house of an acquaintance, an man in his 50's with
a long history of mental problems and run-ins with the law. After a while (there was presumably some drinking) the man went outside and smashed out the windshield of my son's car. My son then broke two windows out of the man's house. The man reported the vandalism to the police but did not mention my son's name. Now, a month later, the man's sister, who supports him from another state has contacted my son asking for $500 to cover the windows and the very large heating bill that resulted when the man neglected to repair the windows during this cold winter.
Sordid, eh? My son lives with us and has no job so it would be up to us to pay the sister who threatens to contact the police or the courts. Five hundred dollars is a lot of money (since we had to replace the windshield already) but the idea of the police coming to our door looking for our son is depressing. Advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/29/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what advice do you have", "what are my rights", or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.