I live in State. In a parking garage, I accidentally bumped…

Customer Question
I live in Washington State...
I live in Washington State. In a parking garage, I accidentally bumped into another vehicle when backing out. They were in the driving lane of the garage, but out of sight. I had checked all my blind spots, including my backup camera and had checked to each side. I have National General Insurance. There were no witnesses. My rear bumper brushed their rear bumper. They sustained scratches to their car that didn't even extend to the bare metal. They filed a claim against my insurance, and my insurance adjuster judged me to be 100 percent to blame, so I have to pay out of pocket for the plaintiff's damage. I spoke to the office of the Insurance Commissioner, and they said I had a right to all of the information my adjuster used to make his decision. When I asked my adjuster for that information, he gave me the run-around. Then I asked how I could appeal. He told me he didn't know. I told him to kick it upstairs to his supervisor. I've heard nothing back. What are my rights in this case? I have a perfect record. I'm reporting the incurance company to the BBB and perhaps a few other placjes as well. Note that this insurance company is not one of the top five.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/29/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assitsing you.

The general rule is that when you are driving in reverse you must keep a proper lookout and yield the right of way to vehicles moving forward. So, it is, from a legal perspective, your fault. If there are blind spots in the garage then you must proceed that much more caution.

As far as appealing the adjuster's decision, the policy must include information for appealing the adjuster's decision. So, review the policy and make sure to follow the required process to the letter. Insurance companies are notorious for denial of appeals based upon failing to follow their procedure regarding notice and deadlines.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.