How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102356
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is in Bay County Jail and has been there since

Customer Question

My daughter is in Bay County Jail and has been there since they picked her up in Valdosta Georgia, where she has been living for the past few years, but she was on probation in Duval County, but probation officer says she didn't let her know, but whatever reason, my daughter is bipolar and have not been on any meds for years, due to no insurance, but she has been in jail f go r r 3 months and her public defender is not trying to get her the help she needs, she wants her to go to prison and there are other offers on the table, but her public defender refuses to allow her to choose. Her human rights are being violated and they didn't even evaluate her beforer she went to court and so they threw her plea out and nw she has to return b a k yo c ourt on the 3rd. Please tell me wat to do, parent feeling helpless. My number is(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. There seem to be several issues here, including her need for medication. I am not sure which of these you are asking about, or all of them, etc. Please if you would, can you clarify your question. For example: "What can I do to make them have her take her medicine...?" Etc.

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do to get her released, she only score out to be 14.4 points
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. So she has not been convicted of anything yet, but has multiple charge against her. Correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they absconded, VOP this her first tume
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
The only way to get her out while the suit is pending is for her to POST BOND. If the bond is set too high, a bail bondsman can be used, and/or, her attorney can file a Motion to Lower Bond to ask the Judge to lower the amount.
If she bonds out, she can stay out and then simply attend court at the date(s) when required. If she has multiple charges, then multiple bonds may need to be put down. Also note that with some jurisdictions, she may not even be able to bond out if she is being held by one county for another county.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But there is no bond , she has to go back on the 3rd of February, and the first plea was withdrawn, so we are asking for a suspended sentence and if they don't do so can we fire her public defender, because she said she is not on her side and she rather for her to go to prison, which is not RIGHT at all. Please tell me what we can do.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
If there is no bond, she/her attorney can ask for one. It is at the discretion of the Judge, however.
She can ask the Judge for another attorney. However, the Court will generally NOT assign another one unless she can claim successfully that the one given to her does not have a good working relationship with her and cannot help her with her defense. The Court is often wary of such claims.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for me to talk to the prosecutor on her behalf and ask for a suspended sentence
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid not. Or rather you can try, but the prosecutor will only talk to her ATTORNEY, I am afraid.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!