How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and I are American citizens. We live in Israel,

Customer Question

My daughter and I are American citizens. We live in Israel, and my ex-husband lived in Lincoln, Nebraska, up until his death on Dec. 12, 2015.
What do I need to do in order to get a copy of my ex-husband's death certificate, and his will (if there is one).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The death certificate is not hard to come by in most cases. If your ex-husband did not re-marry, then you should have no real issues here. Please see the information in this link which includes an application for the issuance of a death certificate:

The will, if there is one, may be a harder issue for you guys. That said, the place to start is the probate court in the county in which he lived at the time of his death. If he did die with a will, it should have been probated by his other heirs. Technically, they should have attempted to contact you or his daughter as well when this took place.

If his will was not probated in the probate court, the only other option would be to contact his other heirs (or his attorney if you knew him to have one) and request a copy. I assume your daughter is his daughter. As such, she is a lawful heir and has a right to a copy of the will, if it exists.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

By the way, Israel is a beautiful, special place. I am jealous you are there.


Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in with you to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you mover forward. Best wishes!