How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lent someone $2500 7 years ago. Was supposed to be paid

Customer Question

I lent someone $2500 7 years ago. Was supposed to be paid back after her divorce when she was planning on getting lots of money when her husband cashed in his retirement account. To date, have only been paid back 500....sporadic checks from her over the years. Would I be able to sue her for the balance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations on breach of contract is only four years. So, if the agreement was that she'd pay you back when she got divorced, she can only be sued if her divorce happened within the past 4 years. Once the statute of limitations expires, she'd have to have affirmed the debt and made another agreement to pay in order for you to be able to sue her.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.