How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Greetings from Missouri, My son has not lived in my home

Customer Question

Greetings from Missouri,
My son has not lived in my home since 2009 and has made many poor choices which have resulted in him being jailed many times, mostly for failure to appear for traffic infractions, and 2 marijuana possession charges. We have stopped enabling his behavior by not offering monetary support and not bailing him out of jail. The problem is, we are getting almost daily letters from various courts and state agencies informing my son of warrants being issued and drivers license suspentions. My son hs my name so I can't stop his mail at the post office and I don't want my name and address associated with this mess.
I have sent letters to the courts and state agencies informing them he doesn't live here but to no avail.
When I call I am told that this is his last address of record, and even though he has not lived here for 6 years they will not update the address or remove it.
The attorney solicitations are incredible.
Is there anything I can do to stop him from using my address, and to make the various agencies stop sending his mail to my address ?
My son has no known address, that is why he uses mine, even though he doesn't retrieve any of his mail here.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello Grant

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Unfortunately, the court is correct. They have a Last Known Address on file and this is how the defense attorneys are getting their information. They hire companies to comb through court records for their solicitations. And the court will always use a Last Known Address. The only way to change that is to have a new address on file with the courts for your son.

I suggest, you can mark any letters as No Forwarding Address (NFA) and Return to Sender (RTS) and put it back in a mailbox. The sender may then decide they want to stop sending the solicitations when they keep being returned.

I wish there was something more you could do. Please let me know here if you have other questions.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You must be sure to put No At This Address, also.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

So mark the letters NTA, NFA, RTS and put it back in the mailbox. It takes some time but eventually it will stop.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I also found the following from USA GOV

  • Tell companies you do business with to remove your name from customer lists they rent or sell to other companies. Look for information on how to opt-out of marketing lists on sales materials, order forms, and websites.
  • Contact the Direct Marketing Association to sign up for their mail preference service. This will allow you to remove your name from most national telemarketing, mail, and e-mail lists. You can register for free online or by sending the registration form (PDF, Download Adobe Reader) and $1 fee through postal mail.
  • Register with the Consumer Credit Reporting Industry's Opt-Out Program to stop receiving credit card and insurance offers. All major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, Innovis, and TransUnion) participate in this program. Call 1-***-***-**** or register online to opt-out of receiving these offers for five years. To opt-out of these offers permanently, you must register online.
  • Complete and file a PS Form 1500 (PDF, Download Adobe Reader) at your local Post Office to prevent, or stop, receiving sexually oriented advertising in your mail.
  • If you have previously completed a request to opt-out from receiving firm offers, you must complete a request to opt-in to begin receiving offers again.

Remember, opting-out will not end all mail solicitations. Local merchants, religious and charitable associations, professional and alumni associations, politicians, and companies with which you do business may still send you mail.

It is annoying. Unfortunately, you have no legal recourse against anyone, however.