Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If you are accused of verbal abuse what is staute of

Customer Question
if you are accused of...
if you are accused of verbal abuse what is staute of limitations to file a report by employers accusing you but have not talked to employer yet was accused on the 18th of january
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
1/27/2016
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What type of verbal abuse are you referring to -- sexual harassment, threats, etc.?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I went into work and was just cussing in general not at residents just complaining to myself but residents were in area this was before jan 18th should I take attorney in to speak with my employer asking for meeting on thurs of this week
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2nd shift nurse reported me but never verbally abused any residents is it still considered abuse if they were sitting in common area and heard me

Ok. Thanks.

If this was not a harassment/threat situation, then you'd be looking at a civil issue -- and not a criminal one. That said, the statute of limitations for the employer to take action can be years.....so you're well within the timeframe that something could be done.

So, you're likely best served to consult a lawyer and discuss what occurred -- at the least -- and decide whether or not th lawyer should accompany you to the meeting or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what im asking is how long they have to file a report and can they come after me for verbal charges if they haven't talked to me personally and just have statements from aides and second shift nurse
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would appreciate a response

If your employer has policies and procedures about reporting issues and dealing with grievances, that would set your parameters for how long the employer would have to take action.

Also, the employer would have the ability to pursue this internally with a statement from others.....unless the policies and procedures provide something else.

Thus, much of how this will occur and unfold depends on what the company policies require.

Roger, Attorney