I was romantically involved with a woman time. We decided to…

Customer Question
I was romantically involved with...
I was romantically involved with a woman for some time. We decided to invest in property together. She purchased a property and I lent her money to renovate the property. I later purchased the property as a rental. We broke up; however, we agreed that she would reimburse me for the renovations as well as personal loans I made to her, payments for her kid's tuition, etc. It totals to approx. 60K. We have no written agreement, but she did, in several emails acknowledge the debt to me (I sent her spreadsheets with a breakdown). I have all receipts as well as her responses to the emails sating that she "intends" to pay me back. She now refuses to respond to any communication. Do I have a case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/26/2016
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

Yes, you would appear to have a case. The burden would be upon you to prove that what you did for her was in the nature of a loan. However, you have documentation of that and of her acknowledgment that she owes you the money.

The only documentation are emails and text messages, one with a detailed breakdown of each amount, purpose, date, etc. She responded to the email/spreadsheet acknowledging that the list was accurate and stating that she would repay me.

I didn't say your case was in the bag. Nothing is ever a sure thing when it comes to that. But you do have admissions on her part that she owes you the money and will repay it. So this is certainly more than just your word against hers.

Your response was on target. Since then, I recontacted her and she reaffirmed the loans/debt.

Great! I'm glad to hear that.

Please rate my services at this time so that I can get credit for my work.

And have a good weekend!