I have space on my property that I rent out RV. I recently…

Customer Question
I have space on my...
I have space on my property that I rent out for an RV. I recently learned that the man I rent to is growing a small amount of marijuana in his RV for his medical purposes. While Medical Marijuana is legal in Arizona...growing it is not. What are my liabilities if he gets in trouble. please be specific
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/26/2016
Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney

Hello. I will be happy to assist you.

From a purely legal perspective, you share the same liability as he does...criminal prosecution. Any time you are facilitating the commission of a crime, you are legally responsible, just as the person committing the crime. Here, you are aware that he's illegally growing marijuana on your property, and facilitating it by allowing him to continue to use your property. As far as the specific punishment for that, it really depends on the amount he's growing. But, suffice to say, it is a felony offense that could carry jail time.

That said, practically speaking, unless you are taking a portion of the profits or assisting in some other way, the police are very, very unlikely to hold you criminally liable. Assuming you are charging him the same as others who have used your space, I don't think the police would charge you with his marijuana operation. Of course, like I said, they technically could. So, if you want to remove all concern, you can ask him to leave or call the police yourself.

Do you have any questions?

I'm sorry, I was looking for specific information "statute #" on Arizona landlord liabilities. I want to make clear that I do not "know" that it is happening, I only suspect. I have no intention of calling the police on a disabled senior citizen who "might" be growing a few plants. I already know that he has a valid MM referral. Not sure why they sent this to a Texas Attorney.

Just Answer opens questions up to all attorneys, not just attorneys from a specific state. I have helped customers from almost every state in the US, and am familiar with laws in Arizona. There si no specific statute dealing with a landlord's criminal liability in this sort of situation. The essence of this case, however, turns on your knowledge. If you are aware that he's engaged in criminal activity, and allowing it to go on using your property, you could be held criminally liable. If you are not aware, but just have a suspicion, you don't have the necessary criminal intent to allow it to happen.