HOW TO GET LEGAL HELP IN GETTING AN AUDIT OF A CITY OR TOWN…

Customer Question
HOW TO GET LEGAL HELP...
HOW TO GET LEGAL HELP IN GETTING AN AUDIT OF A CITY OR TOWN WHO HAS NOT DONE AN AUDIT
IN TWENTY YEARS IS THERE A WAY WE CAN GET FREE HELP
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
1/26/2016
Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Could you explain your situation a little further? Has the city done an audit, but won't disclose it to you, or do they refuse to do one? Do you believe they have an obligation to do one under the city charter?

HAS NOT DONE AN AUDIT IN TWENTY YEARS THERE SEEM TO BE 7000 MISSING FROM ONE ACCOUNT.
I HAVE BEEN TOLD IF WE CAN GET 15% OF CITY VOTERS TO SIGN A PETION THE STATE WILL AUDIT IT FOR
FREE, IS THIS RIGHT WERE UNDER 400 VOTERS

Under Missouri law, the State Auditor`s office may be called on to audit any political subdivision of the state if enough qualified voters of that political subdivision request the audit. Section 29.230, ​RSMo, outlines the petition process and requirements.

Key provisions of the law:

• The political subdivision (a city, school district, taxing district, etc.) audited through the petition process is responsible for the cost of the audit.
  • Petition signatures must be from registered voters who live within the boundaries of that political subdivision.
  • The petition and signatures must be submitted to the State Auditor’s Office within one year of the initial request.
  • The person who submits the petition and signatures to the State Auditor's Office (the chief petitioner) must be a property owner or resident of the political subdivision.