How do I get legal Guardianship two great-grandchildren

Customer Question
How do I get legal...
How do I get legal Guardianship for my two great-grandchildren since I am taking care of them and because I don't have any idea where the mother is? They are in need of Texas Medicaid medical insurance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/25/2016
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You mention mom...where is dad in this picture? Is there a dad on the birth certificate?

the dad is incarcerated who is my grandson. He is on the 2nd. child's birth record but not the 1st. child because they were not married when he was born.

Thank you
In that case, I would expect you have a great chance to obtain guardianship.
You need to go in front of the probate court to accomplish this. For this, you need a lawyer

The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, hire a lawyer.

Now...it may be that your county child services agency can assist you. YOu can contact them to see if they will sponsor your request (have their lawyer file this on your behalf). If they will? great...you save the expense.

Otherwise, hire a local attorney and they can file this for you

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.