How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was a part of a discussion panel on Thursday that was

Customer Question

I was a part of a discussion panel on Thursday that was broadcasted live on YouTube. A protest broke out demanding I be removed from the panel. The protesters included an ex girlfriend and various women who accused me of assaulting her, leaving her destitute, and "using her". The first allegation was that I assaulted her Wednesday evening at The Hilton in Chicago. There were hundreds of people there and that was quickly debunked. Then it was told that the assault happened at my home and I called the police and had my ex and her friend removed from my home. That NEVER happened.
The third and final accusation was that the assault happened at my job. They did come to my job on June 13th of last year demanding I give them access to my home. I had already made plans with the mother of my ex to come gather her things the next day. They entered my place of work, yelling and disruptive. I do have a police dispatch report proving this to be true.
Because these allegations were broadcasted live on YouTube, I believe that is slander. I want to publish the police report only redacting my phone number and make a video rebuttal that includes the information here. I also want to file a suit to clear my name, going after the organizers and the Organizations that sponsored them. I also want to make sure my rebuttal is sound and legal
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) The police report is not subject to a "privacy law" and may be published provided one has a copy of it lawfully. So this would not be illegal to do, with certain parts redacted or not.

2) A lawsuit for defamation may indeed be in order. n Michigan, the elements of a defamation claim are: a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff; an unprivileged publication to a third party; fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and either actionability of the statement irrespective of special harm (defamation per se) or the existence of actual harm caused by the publication.

3) In fact, this may be defamation per se, which is a special type of defamation where the false allegations are about (alleged) criminal actions. If so, then the defamation damages are PRESUMED and do not have to be proven, making the case easier. See George v. Senate Democratic Fund, 2005 WL 102717 (Mich. Ct. App. 2005); Pierson v. Ahern, 2005 WL(###) ###-####(Mich. Ct. App. 2005).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.